Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Playing with fire: The perilous practice of sulphur mining


There is a noise on the path behind us. I turn, swinging the light of my torch directly into a man’s face. Anywhere else in the world I would be alarmed, after all, it is the middle of the night and my friend and I are on a forest-lined track, miles from civilisation. However, the man, who greets us with a wide smile, is part of the reason why we are here, at the base of the Ijen volcano in East Java. We are in one of the few places in the world where travellers can witness the near-extinct practice of volcanic sulphur mining.




















from - Travel RSS Feed http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/266/f/3851/s/41e249f8/sc/8/l/0L0Sindependent0O0Ctravel0Casia0Cplaying0Ewith0Efire0Ethe0Eperilous0Epractice0Eof0Esulphur0Emining0E9950A5190Bhtml/story01.htm

via IFTTT

0 comments:

Post a Comment